The Lenbachhaus has a specialized scholarly library. The focus of its collection is on three fields: nineteenth-century Munich painting, the “Blue Rider,” and selected aspects of post-1945 art. Its primary purpose is to assist the museum team’s research and writing and the work on exhibition concepts. Books may not be removed from the museum, but may be consulted by guests; visits must be arranged in advance.
Monographs on artists and exhibition and collection catalogues make up a large part of the holdings. The library currently has ca. 70,000 items in a variety of media, among which ca. 35,000 are classified as small printed matter (pamphlet catalogues, leaflets, press clippings).
In 2009, we began to build an online catalogue of our holdings in the framework of B3Kat (Bibliotheksverbund Bayern, Berlin, Brandenburg). Accessing our database via B3Kat’s union catalog or our OPAC, users may currently search all titles that have entered our holdings since 1996 (ca. 20,000), all publications produced by the Städtische Galerie im Lenbachhaus since its opening in 1929, and the monographic literature on the “Blue Rider.” We will continue to catalogue additional important holdings, working backwards from more recent to older acquisitions.
Dr. Ursula Keltz
T +49 (0) 89/233-82621
F +49 (0) 89/233-82693
E-Mail: ursula.keltz (at) muenchen.de