Foundations

Münter-Eichner-Stiftung

 

 

GABRIELE MÜNTER AND JOHANNES EICHNER FOUNDATION

The Gabriele Münter and Johannes Eichner Foundation became operative in 1966, four years after Gabriele Münter’s death. Gabriele Münter and Johannes Eichner (1886 – 1958), the artist’s life partner, established the foundation in their wills. Münter had met Eichner, an art historian and philosopher, in Berlin in 1927. He recognized the painter’s talent and studied and wrote about her art as well as Kandinsky’s. The Gabriele Münter and Johannes Eichner Foundation preserves and manages the artist’s large estate, which comprises not only works of art and documents but also her home in Murnau. Johannes Eichner and Hans Konrad Roethel, who would later become director of the Städtische Galerie im Lenbachhaus, met in 1952 and became close friends. In 1956, Roethel was first permitted to see the complete collection of Kandinsky’s and Münter’s pictures, which the artist had stored in the basement of her house in Murnau to protect them from the Nazis. One year later, in 1957, Münter, on occasion of her eightieth birthday, most generously donated significant parts of this collection to the Städtische Galerie im Lenbachhaus in Munich. The Foundation supports research projects designed to promote a deeper understanding of Münter’s and Kandinsky’s art; the results are presented in publications and exhibitions. Its seat is at the Lenbachhaus, and so the two institutions have collaborated closely and fruitfully on many scholarly projects and exhibitions. The Foundation has also given works of art from its collection to the Lenbachhaus on permanent loan. One important goal of the Foundation is to prepare a catalogue raisonné of Gabriele Münter’s pictures that will document all oil paintings created by the artist with information about their provenance, exhibition history, and the relevant literature.

Münter’s house

In accordance with Münter’s wishes, her house has been made accessible to the public in its entirety as a memorial dedicated to her and Kandinsky’s art. After renovations in 1998 – 99, it now appears as it did between 1909 and 1914. Richly appointed and decorated with paintings, works of graphic art, and reverse glass paintings by Kandinsky and Münter and popular art from their collection as well as the artists’ own hand-painted furniture, the house vividly conveys the atmosphere that prevailed here before World War I.

muenter-stiftung.de

Today
15
12
2017

Public guided tour
"The Blue Rider"
With the MVHS

Keep up to date!

Search

Please enter your search term here