Förderverein

 

 

Ideas and Goals of the FÖRDERVEREIN LENBACHHAUS E.V.

Culture in all its manifestations is an important element of our society. The evolution of the one is closely interwoven with developments in the other. Today, we can no longer rely on the public sector to maintain a vibrant cultural life. As many states and municipalities have been compelled to shift resources toward other important spending objectives, they find it difficult to live up to their cultural commitments. So the private sector must do its part to preserve our wealth of cultural opportunities.
In 1992, on the occasion of its one-hundredth anniversary, Deutsche Bank established a foundation to benefit the Lenbachhaus, with an initial endowment of DM 750 000. A year later, the energetic initiative of Dr. Soltmann, then president of the Chamber of Industry and Commerce of Munich and Upper Bavaria, Dr. Reinhard Wieczorek, head of the Munich Department of Labor and Economic Development, and Dr. Michael Endres, member of the management board of Deutsche Bank, led to the creation of the Förderverein Lenbachhaus e.V., the Society of the Friends of the Lenbachhaus. The initiators saw an opportunity to create close and lasting ties between Munich-based businesses as well as private patrons and a municipal cultural institution.
The foundation and the Förderverein work to help the Städtische Galerie im Lenbachhaus present its treasures in the best light by improving its facilities and to expand its collections. The Förderverein also expects to provide grants for the realization of exhibitions and the production of publications. Needless to say, all activities of the Förderverein serve its nonprofit purpose, and so all donations are tax-deductible.

 

The FÖRDERVEREIN LENBACHHAUS E. V. and its collection

Important items in the Lenbachhaus’s collection were contributed by the Förderverein, whose wide range of activities in support of the museum includes financial assistance for the purchase of additions to the collections. In 1992, Deutsche Bank established a foundation to benefit the Lenbachhaus, the Jubiläumsstiftung der Deutsche Bank AG, and in 1993, the Förderverein Lenbachhaus e.V. was created. Both seek to strengthen the identification of Munich’s citizenry and business community with the Städtische Galerie im Lenbachhaus. The foundation and the Förderverein work to improve the Lenbachhaus’s presentation facilities and lend financial support to its efforts to expand its collections. They have been especially committed to the innovative lighting design based on LED technology in the New Lenbachhaus.
The Förderverein’s collection is on permanent loan to the Lenbachhaus, where it enriches the museum’s own holdings. Its focus is on international contemporary art and on works revolving around the theme of light. The Förderverein also provides grants for the realization of exhibitions and the production of publications. Last but not least, individual members of the Förderverein have given particularly generous assistance to the Lenbachhaus’s services for our young visitors, defraying the expenses associated with opening the museum to student groups outside regular hours and sponsoring art education programs especially designed for children.

Works acquired by the Förderverein on permanent loan to the Lenbachhaus

Neon installation “Untitled (for Virginia Dwan),” 1971, by Dan Flavin (1933–1996)
Neon sculpture “Cubo di luce,” 1959, by Lucio Fontana (1899–1968)
Light installation “Time Go Round,” 1996, by Tatsuo Miyajima (b. 1957)
Painted plaster figure “Halbfigur,” 1982, by John Ahearn (b. 1954)
Drawing (carbon black on preprimed canvas) “Dominospieler,” 1991, by Jiri Georg Dokoupil (b. 1954)
Installation with 108 shattered colored glass bottles “Alles Flaschen,” 1992/2000, by Olaf Metzel (b. 1952)
Light installation “Untitled,” 1968, by Keith Sonnier (b. 1941)
Installation “Aprèslude,” 2001, by Alexandra Ranner (b. 1967)
Installation “Ventilator,” 2000, by Alexandra Ranner (b. 1967)
Space sculpture “Das Labyrinth in meinem Kopf …,” 2001, by Stephan Huber (b. 1952)
Glass installation “4 stehende Scheiben,” 2002, by Gerhard Richter (b. 1932)
C-print “Kabine,” 2002, by Thomas Demand (b. 1964)
Cibachrome “Rede,” 1988, by Dietmar Tanterl (b. 1952)
Painting “E 54,” 1948, by Rupprecht Geiger (1908–2009)
Sculpture “Das Schweigen,” five film reels, after the Ingmar Bergman film of the same title, 1973, by Joseph Beuys (1921–1986)
Italian Murano glass chandelier “‘La Monnaie vivante’ by Pierre Klossowski (1970),” by Cerith Wyn Evans (b. 1958)
Large space sculpture “Gelb—Weiß—Schwarz,” 1956 (50% share), by Norbert Kricke (1922–1984)
“es geht nicht um dich,” 2008, by Seb Koberstädt (b. 1977)
1 LED light prototype (for the development of LED lighting in the redesigned Lenbachhaus), LED light, and 1:4 scale model of one suite of rooms, 2010, by Dietmar Tanterl (b. 1956)

works donated to the Förderverein by its members and on permanent loan to the Lenbachhaus

2 photographic series by Christopher Williams (b. 1956)
1 photographic work “Gelbe Tulpen,” 1998, by Michael Wesely (b. 1963)
Painting “Nachtlandschaft,” 1972, by Helmut Pfeuffer (b. 1933)
Painting “Landschaft mit aufbrechender Wolke,” 1976, by Helmut Pfeuffer (b. 1933)
Five-color silkscreen print “Joseph Beuys in Memoriam,” 1986, by Andy Warhol (1928–1987)
Painting “Hinundherbert nimmt der Frauenkirche eine Narrenscheibe und verschwindet im Firmament,” 1991, by Herbert Achternbusch (b. 1938)
Photograph “Battersea Power Station, XXV: July 29, 2004,” 2004, by Vera Lutter (b. 1960)

Works acquired by the Lenbachhaus with financial assistance from the Förderverein

Cycle of works “ATLAS” by Gerhard Richter (b. 1932)
Sculpture “o.T.,” 1991, by Nikolaus Gerhart (b. 1944)
Installation “vor dem Aufbruch aus Lager I,” 1970/1980, by Joseph Beuys (1921–1986)

 

The Förderverein’s Financial contribution to the comprehensive renovation of the Lenbachhaus and the construction of the new wing

After a major Kandinsky retrospective, the Städtische Galerie im Lenbachhaus closed its doors in March 2009: the former villa of the prince of painters Franz von Lenbach urgently needed major renovations. After four years of work, the museum reopened on May 8, 2013. As part of the comprehensive refurbishment, the building has been brought up to contemporary standards. It now has all the features required for an international-grade exhibition operation and yet has lost none of its particular charm.The internationally renowned architectural practice Foster + Partners, which designed the spectacular dome on the Reichstag in Berlin as well as other prominent projects, drew up the plans for the comprehensive renovation. The Munich city council approved the project, budgeted at €56 million, in its plenary session on October 5, 2006. In a letter to the mayor of Munich dated November 7, 2006, the executive board of the Förderverein responded by pledging to raise contributions in the amount of €2.5 million. Thanks to private donations by ten members of the Förderverein and two friends of the Lenbachhaus, this goal was met little more than a year later, demonstrating the strong commitment of the Munich citizenry to the city’s artistic and cultural life.The Förderverein’s contribution has been used to pay for part of the new and pioneering LED-based exhibition lighting technology and for the works commissioned from Olafur Eliasson and Thomas Demand. Additional donations raised in the meantime help the Lenbachhaus optimize its facilities and improve the design of the galleries.The mayor of the City of Munich, Christian Ude, has publicly expressed his deep appreciation of the engagement of the Förderverein and its members.

Renovation work completed with financial assistance from the Förderverein

Restoration and reconstruction of the original color design of the balcony railing (1997) and the front wrought iron gate (1998) on the main building
8 shell limestone benches for the historic garden (seating ensemble around the central fountain)
Works purchased by the Jubiläumsstiftung der Deutsche Bank AG zugunsten des Lenbachhauses as a member of the Förderverein:
Sculpture “o.T.,” 1987, by Ulrich Rückriem (b. 1938)
Sculpture “Rosebud,” 1991, by Raimund Kummer (b. 1954)
Sculpture “empire vampire V,” 2003, by Isa Genzken (b. 1948)
Fountain for the museum plaza “Raum in Bewegung / Bewegung im Raum,” 2002, by Jeppe Hein (b. 1974)

Financial assistance for special opening hours and art education programming

Reimbursing the museum for additional personnel expenses for attendants during special opening hours for school groups on Wednesdays, Thursdays, and Fridays starting at 9am (since September 1, 2001)
Art education programming for children in the exhibitions of works by Erwin Wurm, Maria Lassnig, Gabriel von Max, Piet Mondrian, Egon Schiele, and Marcel Duchamp as well as “Kunst ist schön, macht aber viel Arbeit”



The FÖRDERVEREIN’s member services include:

Free admission to the Lenbachhaus’s permanent collections
Free admission to all special exhibitions at the Lenbachhaus and the Kunstbau
Invitations to exhibition openings
Organized art tours (1994 Barcelona, 1995 Madrid, 1996 London, 1997 Rome, 1998 New York, 1999 Naples, 2000 Prague, 2001 Turin, 2002 Istanbul, 2003 Palermo, 2004 Lisbon, 2005 Stuttgart and Baden-Baden, 2006 Genoa and Florence, 2008 Flanders, 2009 Paris, Baden-Baden, and New York, 2010 The Hague, 2011 Moscow, 2012 Italy, South Tyrol 2014)
Invitations to special events and festivities (previews, visits to the studios of Munich artists, summer fête, guided tours, concerts, etc.)
Reduced prices on artists’ editions (e.g., Rupprecht Geiger’s Rotbuch)



Contact information

Förderverein Lenbachhaus e.V.
Städtische Galerie im Lenbachhaus und Kunstbau
Luisenstr. 33
80333 München
Germany
Tel. +49 89 233 320 80
Fax +49 89 233 320 81
email(at)fv-lenbachhaus.com

Executive board
Alexander Mettenheimer
Hartmut Geldmacher
Urso Hirschberg
Dr. Klaus Sachs
Dr. Alexandra Gräfin von Arnim
Renate Küchler
Dr. Matthias Mühling
Anna Penner
Dr. Ulrich Schürenkrämer
Walter Storms
Lucia Titgemeyer-Heck
Dr. Petra Wibbe
 
Office
Kurt Laube, office manager and membership services
Tel. +49 89 233 320 80
Fax +49 89 233 320 81

Claudia Weber, press relations
Tel. +49 89 233 320 10
Fax +49 89 233 320 03

Dr. Irene Netta, art archive
Tel. +49 89 233 826 19
Fax +49 89 233 320 03

Claudia Keyisoglu, accounting
Telefon +49 89 2390 2145
Telefax +49 89 2390 2761 

Annual membership fees

  • Individual membership (young members, 25 and younger): €100 a year
  • Individual membership (junior members, 26–35 years): €150 a year
  • Individual membership (36 and older): annual donation €500
  • Partner membership: annual donation €750

Prorated fees available for members who join during the year.

  • Corporate membership: €1,250 a year
    and €2,550 one-time admission fee


Information and applications (PDFS)


Donation certificates

The Förderverein Lenbachhaus e.V. promotes the following nonprofit purposes: art and culture (§ 52 Abs. 2 Satz 1 Nr. 5 AO).

In accordance with the current notice of exemption issued by the relevant tax authority, the Förderverein Lenbachhaus e.V. is authorized to:

  • issue donation certificates based on the prescribed form (§ 50 Abs. 1 EStDV) for donations made to it for the abovementioned purpose;
  • issue donation certificates based on the prescribed form (§ 50 Abs. 1 EStDV) for membership fees.

 

 

 

What's on
25
03
2017

Public guided tour
"Der Blaue Reiter" im Dialog mit...

Keep up to date!

Search

Please enter your search term here