Förderverein

 

 

The Förderverein’s Financial contribution to the comprehensive renovation of the Lenbachhaus and the construction of the new wing

After a major Kandinsky retrospective, the Städtische Galerie im Lenbachhaus closed its doors in March 2009: the former villa of the prince of painters Franz von Lenbach urgently needed major renovations. After four years of work, the museum reopened on May 8, 2013. As part of the comprehensive refurbishment, the building has been brought up to contemporary standards. It now has all the features required for an international-grade exhibition operation and yet has lost none of its particular charm.The internationally renowned architectural practice Foster + Partners, which designed the spectacular dome on the Reichstag in Berlin as well as other prominent projects, drew up the plans for the comprehensive renovation. The Munich city council approved the project, budgeted at €56 million, in its plenary session on October 5, 2006. In a letter to the mayor of Munich dated November 7, 2006, the executive board of the Förderverein responded by pledging to raise contributions in the amount of €2.5 million. Thanks to private donations by ten members of the Förderverein and two friends of the Lenbachhaus, this goal was met little more than a year later, demonstrating the strong commitment of the Munich citizenry to the city’s artistic and cultural life.The Förderverein’s contribution has been used to pay for part of the new and pioneering LED-based exhibition lighting technology and for the works commissioned from Olafur Eliasson and Thomas Demand. Additional donations raised in the meantime help the Lenbachhaus optimize its facilities and improve the design of the galleries.The mayor of the City of Munich, Christian Ude, has publicly expressed his deep appreciation of the engagement of the Förderverein and its members.

Renovation work completed with financial assistance from the Förderverein

Restoration and reconstruction of the original color design of the balcony railing (1997) and the front wrought iron gate (1998) on the main building
8 shell limestone benches for the historic garden (seating ensemble around the central fountain)
Works purchased by the Jubiläumsstiftung der Deutsche Bank AG zugunsten des Lenbachhauses as a member of the Förderverein:
Sculpture “o.T.,” 1987, by Ulrich Rückriem (b. 1938)
Sculpture “Rosebud,” 1991, by Raimund Kummer (b. 1954)
Sculpture “empire vampire V,” 2003, by Isa Genzken (b. 1948)
Fountain for the museum plaza “Raum in Bewegung / Bewegung im Raum,” 2002, by Jeppe Hein (b. 1974)

Financial assistance for special opening hours and art education programming

Reimbursing the museum for additional personnel expenses for attendants during special opening hours for school groups on Wednesdays, Thursdays, and Fridays starting at 9am (since September 1, 2001)
Art education programming for children in the exhibitions of works by Erwin Wurm, Maria Lassnig, Gabriel von Max, Piet Mondrian, Egon Schiele, and Marcel Duchamp as well as “Kunst ist schön, macht aber viel Arbeit”